26 - 2 General Intersections
- Sub Project 1: Tallassee Rd/Whitehead Rd
- This project is complete.
- Sub Project 2: South Milledge at Whitehall Rd Phase I and Design of Phase II
- Project Details: The Preliminary Plans for the intersection improvements at Whitehall Road and South Milledge Avenue were approved by the M&C on April 1, 2014. Construction of Phase I was initiated in March 2015 and completed in July 2015. On January 2, 2018 M&C approved the Preliminary Plans for Phase II. Phase II of the roadway improvement project at the intersection of S Milledge Avenue and Whitehall Road. The project replaces the current intersection with a single lane roundabout with sidewalks, divider islands, and stormwater improvements. Funding for the construction of Phase II is being provided by TSPLOST 2018.
- Project Updates: On August 7, 2018, Mayor and Commission voted to award the construction contract to Vertical Earth, Inc. A notice to proceed is scheduled to be issued on or prior to September 14, 2018. The contractor completed initial paving activities, placed temporary traffic markings, and successfully implemented circulatory traffic flow. They continue to work on sidewalks, curbs, walls, and circulatory truck apron with minor traffic delays. The project is anticipated to reach substantial completion in early September 2019.
- Sub project 3: Hawthorne Avenue at Oglethorpe Avenue
- Project Details: This sub-project will include rebuilding the intersection to include flashing yellow arrow signal heads for the left turn movements and back plates on all signal heads to improve visibility, as well as permissive left turn prohibitions on movements with high crash experience during peak hour traffic. It will also include re-striping the pavement to improve sight distance for the northbound and southbound lanes and to include one receiving lane for northbound traffic. This re-striping will also create a short two-way left turn lane to accommodate mid-block left turns into the YMCA and other driveways along Hawthorne Avenue just north of Oglethorpe Avenue.
- Project Updates: M&C approved the Project Concept on July 2, 2019. Design to begin Fall 2019.
Key Project Statistics
- Designer: Varies by Sub-Project
- Contractor: Varies by Sub-Project
- Program Manager: Jacobs Engineering
- Sponsor: Transportation and Public Works
- Original SPLOST Budget: $6,767,239
- Total Cost: TBD
- Completion Date: TBD
*as of 7/15/2019