General Information & Timeline
General TSPLOST 2018 Program Information
The TSPLOST 2018 program was approved by Athens-Clarke County voters on November 7, 2017. the additional 1% sales tax collection began in April 2018 as an additional sales tax on the current sales tax, making Athens-Clarke County's total sales tax 8%.
Georgia law allows local communities to use Transportation Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (TSPLOST) proceeds for transportation purposes if approved by voters in a referendum. General guidelines for projects are below, see Official Code of Georgia (O.C.G.A) 48-8-260(5) for more details.
- 'Transportation purposes' includes roads, bridges, public transit, rails, airports, buses, and all accompanying infrastructure and services necessary to provide access to these facilities.
- Roads, streets, sidewalks, bicycle paths, and bridge purposes such as:
- acquisition of rights of way;
- renovation and improvement, including resurfacing;
- relocation of utilities;
- improvement of surface-water drainage; and/or
- patching, leveling, milling, widening, shoulder preparation, culvert repair, and other repairs necessary for their preservation.
- Stormwater and drainage capital outlay projects, in conjunction with transportation projects
These transportation projects would otherwise be paid for with General Fund and property tax revenues. Governments cannot use TSPLOST funds to pay for operating expenses such as personnel salaries or ongoing expenses.
- October 4, 2016: Mayor and Commission appoint a Citizens Advisory Committee to review and recommend projects for the TSPLOST 2018 program.
- February 28, 2017: Project Request Deadline
- March - April 2017: Citizen Advisory Committee project reviews
- May 1, 2017: Citizen Advisory Committee has to submit list of candidate projects to Mayor and Commission
- May 9, 2017: Mayor and Commission Work Session to review potential TSPLOST 2018 projects
- June 13, 2017 and July 11, 2017: Mayor and Commission Work Sessions to review and discuss TSPLOST 2018 projects
- August 1, 2017: Mayor and Commission approve final list of TSPLOST 2018 projects
- November 7, 2017: TSPLOST 2018 Referendum