Magistrate Court Clerk’s Office is open by appointment only. If you have questions or need to schedule an appointment, please call 706 613 3310 and someone will return your call as soon as possible.
All bond hearings will take place at 8:30 am by video conference in the Magistrate Court courtroom.
Cases scheduled for pre-warrant application hearings at 9:30 AM, dispossessory (eviction) hearings at 10:00 AM and civil hearings at 2:00 PM will be continued to another day after April 13th, 2020. New Hearing notices will be mailed.
All scheduled weddings are cancelled.
Beginning Tuesday, March 17th, 2020, the Clerk will provide limited services between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM. Please call the Clerk at 706 613 3310 ext. 5.
The mission of the Magistrate Court is to deliver justice to the citizens of Athens-Clarke County by ruling on disputed claims or approving mutual settlements in civil cases as well as serving as the court of entry into the criminal justice system. Jurisdiction for the Court is found in Georgia law at O.C.G.A. 15-10-2. Further information may be found online in the Georgia Code or at your local library and in the Uniform Rules of the Magistrate Court.
The Magistrate Court conducts hearings in the following cases:
- First Appearance Hearings (Bond Hearings) every day during the week at the courthouse and at the Clarke County Jail on weekends and holidays.
- Arraignments and probation violations in misdemeanor bad check cases.
- Preliminary hearings.
- Pre-warrant application hearings.
- Dispossessory (eviction) cases.
- Civil claims involving funds up to $15,000.00.
- Abandoned Motor Vehicles.
- Personal Property Foreclosures.