Clayton Street Improvements
Pre-Dig for Stormwater System Finishes Block 3
Oct. 3, 2018 - Crews have completed the Pre-Dig Phase for the third block, including Wall Street, approximately a month ahead of the original schedule.
June 28, 2018: The Pre-Dig phase for the Clayton Street Improvements started Monday, June 18 when the ACC Transportation & Public Works Department's Streets & Drainage crews started digging trenches for the future stormwater system. Actual installation of the stormwater system will begin in January 2019.
The goal is to resolve any issues such as conflicts with other underground items earlier in the process so that the actual installation of the system goes quicker.
- Work started near N. Lumpkin Street and will move block-by-block to Thomas Street until November 2018* (actually completed on Oct. 3)
- Crews will work one side of a block at a time (south side and then the north side)
- Construction work will take place Monday - Thursday from 6:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (except for any holidays). By Thursday evenings, the fenced area will shrink to enclose only the needed areas for repair. Repaving and repair will take place on Friday mornings to reopen all parking spaces and lanes.*
- Work will take place in a rolling work zone of up to approximately 200' at a time and require lane closures and parking space closures of 10-15 spaces at a time.
As work is completed, areas will be re-opened as soon as feasible. Additionally, all lanes and spaces are expected to be re-opened at the end of each pre-dig work week by Thursday afternoons or Friday mornings.*
Additionally, staff will continue to visit businesses in the affected areas to provide maps and answer questions about the project.
* - If weather conditions prevent placing asphalt, closures and work days/times may be extended before an area can re-open.
Clayton Street Improvements Project Timeline
General tentative project schedule (updated Oct. 9, 2018):
- Pre-Dig Phase (for Stormwater System) - June 18 - Nov. 1, 2018 - completed Oct. 3
- Private Utility Relocations - August 2018 - April 2019
- Stormwater System Installation by Athens-Clarke County - January 2019 - March 2020 (break from August 2019 - January 2020)
- Streetscape Installation by Private Contractor - April 2019 - August 2020 (break from November 2019 - April 2020)
- Clayton Street Improvements Pre-Dig Block Maps (Updated August 28, 2018)
- Clayton Street Improvements Project Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Clayton Street Improvements Project - June 5, 2018 Agenda Item
- Clayton Street Preliminary Plans Presentation - Work Session - May 8, 2018 (Revised)
- Clayton Street Layout - Before & After
The Athens-Clarke County Mayor and Commission approved the Clayton Street area project concept at their Regular Voting Session on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 and the preliminary design at their Regular Voting Session on Tuesday, June 5, 2018 for Clayton Street from Thomas Street to North Lumpkin Street. Wall Street and North Jackson Street from East Broad Street to Washington Street are considered part of the overall project that will be considered during the design planning.
At this meeting, the Mayor & Commission:
- approved the proposed project concept elements for Clayton Street Infrastructure & Transportation Improvements that were included in the agenda item attachment;
- approved the project as appropriate for including public art as per Athens-Clarke County policy and requested by the Athens Cultural Affairs Commission;
- authorized staff to advance the stormwater and other underground infrastructure of the project to be built by Athens-Clarke County Transportation and Public Works staff to the construction phase;
- and authorized staff to begin the preliminary plans design phase and to begin taking public input on the preliminary design.
Phase 1 of the project was completed in 2014 by the ACC Public Utilities Department and included improving water and sewer infrastructure in this area downtown.
Phase 2 of the project is designed to install and improve stormwater facilities and other infrastructure, as well as the streetscape on the East Clayton Street area between Thomas Street and Lumpkin Street.
Phase 2 project work will include:
- pavement/sidewalk removal
- tree replacement
- storm drain installation
- pedestrian lighting installation
- pavement/sidewalk replacement,
- installation of streetscape amenities such as benches, bike racks and planters.
Originally funded through Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) funds, the project originally included improvements to the area around City Hall. Phase 2 was put on hold in fall 2015 due to the sole project bid coming in at nearly twice the budgeted amount for the project after the previous bid opportunity received no responses in 2014.
Since 2015, plans were changed to reduce costs by eliminating the City Hall area of the project, leaving only the Clayton Street area, and planning for ACC Transportation and Public Works to obtain the needed equipment and crews to undertake the stormwater and other underground infrastructure internally, thus reducing the cost and risk.
On November 7, 2017, voters in Athens-Clarke County approved the Transportation Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (TSPLOST) program. One of the projects in this program added funding to the original SPLOST funds for the Clayton Street area project, which has enabled the project to move forward in early 2018 into the planning stage and, beginning on June 18, 2018, the construction stage.
The removal of multi-space parking meters and replacement with single space meters in this area was a part of the project that has already been accomplished.