Clayton Street Downtown Infrastructure & Streetscape Improvements
Drop-in format (no formal presentation)
Wednesday, February 28
2:00-4:00 p.m. & 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Michael Brothers Building Mezzanine
320 East Clayton Street
The meetings are being held in the Clayton Street corridor area that will undergo improvements and at two different times in order to better accommodate business owners with daytime or evening business hours.
Maps and drawings, updated timelines, FAQs, and other information will be available at the public meetings. Staff from the SPLOST Office, Transportation & Public Works, and Public Information Office will also be on hand to answer questions about the Clayton Street Area Infrastructure & Streetscape Project.
The Athens-Clarke County Mayor and Commission voted on the Clayton Street area project concept at their Regular Voting Session on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 for Clayton Street from Thomas Street to North Lumpkin Street. Wall Street and North Jackson Street from East Broad Street to Washington Street are still considered part of the overall project that will be considered during the design planning.
At this meeting, the Mayor & Commission:
- approved the proposed project concept elements for Clayton Street Infrastructure & Transportation Improvements that were included in the agenda item attachment;
- approved the project as appropriate for including public art as per Athens-Clarke County policy and requested by the Athens Cultural Affairs Commission;
- authorized staff to advance the stormwater and other underground infrastructure of the project to be built by Athens-Clarke County Transportation and Public Works staff to the construction phase;
- and authorized staff to begin the preliminary plans design phase and to begin taking public input on the preliminary design.
Phase 1 of the project was completed in 2014 by the ACC Public Utilities Department and included improving water and sewer infrastructure in this area downtown.
Phase 2 of the project is designed to install and improve stormwater facilities and other infrastructure, as well as the streetscape on the East Clayton Street area between Thomas Street and Lumpkin Street.
Phase 2 project work will include:
- pavement/sidewalk removal
- tree replacement
- storm drain installation
- pedestrian lighting installation
- pavement/sidewalk replacement,
- installation of streetscape amenities such as benches, bike racks and planters.
Originally funded through Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST) funds, the project originally included improvements to the area around City Hall. Phase 2 was put on hold in fall 2015 due to the sole project bid coming in at nearly twice the budgeted amount for the project after the previous bid opportunity received no responses in 2014.
Since 2015, plans were changed to reduce costs by eliminating the City Hall area of the project, leaving only the Clayton Street area, and planning for ACC Transportation and Public Works to obtain the needed equipment and crews to undertake the stormwater and other underground infrastructure internally, thus reducing the cost and risk.
On November 7, 2017, voters in Athens-Clarke County approved the Transportation Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (TSPLOST) program. One of the projects in this program added funding to the original SPLOST funds for the Clayton Street area project, which has enabled the project to move forward in early 2018 into the planning stage and, later in 2018, the construction stage.
The removal of multi-space parking meters and replacement with single space meters in this area was a part of the project that has already been accomplished.