If you enjoy working with people, digging in the dirt and talking “trash”, we want you to become a volunteer Master Composter with the Athens-Clarke County Master Composting Program! Become a home composting expert and teach your family, friends, neighbors, and fellow community members, “How to Compost”.
Master Composters are an elite group of volunteers who have undergone an extensive training class in all aspects of the composting process, and then use that information to teach others how to turn their organic material into a beneficial soil amendment.
1. Must consent to a background check (UGA requirement)
2. Complete the training course and field trips - (8 classes and 2 field trips)
3. Complete class project
4. Volunteer a minimum of 40 hours back to the program
Typical Volunteer Duties:
1. Teaching or assisting staff with compost workshops.
2. Staffing composting information booths at various public education
and outreach events.
3. Giving lectures on composting to various civic, community, and
4. Giving hands-on presentations or assisting staff with school
2015 Master Composter Class Details
Wednesday mornings, February 4 – April 1, 2015 including two Saturday morning field trips on February 28 and March 14.
TIMES: 9-11:30 a.m.
ACC Solid Waste Department Administration Building Training Room, 725 Hancock Industrial Way, Athens 30605
$150 (includes 20 hours of instruction, the Georgia Master Composter handbook, your name badge, shirt, reference materials and handouts, refreshments during class, certificate of completion and graduation reception)
Compete the registration form here - Registration Form - pdf
Need more information? Master Composter Program Information Sheet - pdf
Contact ACC Cooperative Extension at (706) 613-3640