Ben Burton Park is a 32-acre wildlife preserve located off Mitchell Bridge Road. The park is the site of a former hydroelectric generating station built in 1896 and used until 1964. The site was donated to the county by Georgia Power in 1967. In October of 1971, the park was dedicated in honor of Ben W. Burton, Vice President of Georgia Power. A portion of the park is part of a streambank stabilization project intended to improve streambank health and decrease erosion.
Non-motorized small watercraft are allowed on the Middle Oconee River at Ben Burton Park. The boat launch provides access to the Middle Oconee River. Motorized vehicles are PROHIBITED at all times on the river. All Georgia Boating Regulations must be observed on the river. Learn more about boating from Ben Burton Park.