About the House The Ware-Lyndon House is a circa 1840s late Greek Revival home with Italianate influence. It is the last remaining house in Lickskillet, the once fashionable 19th century in-town neighborhood. The interior has been restored and arranged with decorative art and furnishings of the period. The historic display room features artifacts (with informative labels) that are relevant to the historic house and to the history of Athens.
Land Prominent Athens physician Edward R. Ware built this residence around 1850. The property extended northward to the banks of the Oconee River and contained a large wooded tract to the west. Much of the northern and western tract had been sold off for railroad rights of way by the time Edward S. Lyndon bought the house in 1880. Dr. Lyndon, a successful druggist, also owned a millwork company on the western tract that eventually became the Athens Lumber Company.
1939: The City of Athens acquired the Ware-Lyndon House for government offices, making it the first building other than City Hall owned by the city.
1950: After serving as the site of the local USO in World War II, it came under the auspices of the newly formed Recreation Department.
1960: The Ware-Lyndon House was restored.
1973: It launched Athens's first government-sponsored community arts program to include education, exhibitions, community-based programs, and resource services. The Lyndon House Arts Foundation Inc. was created to assist in the development, maintenance, and operation of the Lyndon House Art Center.