Ben Burton Park is a 32 acre wildlife preserve located off Mitchell Bridge Road. It features a hardwood forest, a 1.2 mile mineral surface loop trail, fourteen picnic tables, and two grills. Ben Burton Park is the site of a former hydroelectric generating station built in 1896 and used until 1964. The site was donated to the county by Georgia Power in 1967. In October of 1971 the park was dedicated in honor of Ben W. Burton, Vice President of Georgia Power. A portion of the park is part of a streambank stabilization project intended to improve streambank health and decrease erosion.
Ben Burton Park now includes a boat launch which offers river access to the Middle Oconee River. Please see the boating page for more information.