If you enjoy working with people, digging in the dirt and talking “trash”, we want you to become a volunteer Master Composter with the Athens-Clarke County Master Composting Program! Become a home composting expert and teach your family, friends, neighbors, and fellow community members, “How to Compost”.
Master Composters are an elite group of volunteers who have undergone an extensive training class in all aspects of the composting process, and then use that information to teach others how to turn their organic material into a beneficial soil amendment.
1. Must consent to a background check (UGA requirement)
2. Complete the training course and field trips - (8 classes and 2 field trips)
3. Complete class project
4. Volunteer a minimum of 40 hours back to the program
Typical Volunteer Duties:
1. Teaching or assisting staff with compost workshops.
2. Staffing composting information booths at various public education
and outreach events.
3. Giving lectures on composting to various civic, community, and
4. Giving hands-on presentations or assisting staff with school
2016 Master Composter Class Details
Wednesday mornings, January 25 – March 29 including one Saturday morning field trip on March 25.
TIMES: 9:00 AM -11:30 AM
ACC Solid Waste Department
Administration Building Training Room
725 Hancock Industrial Way
Athens, GA 30605
$200 (includes 20 hours of instruction, the Georgia Master Composter handbook, your name badge, shirt, reference materials and handouts, refreshments during class, certificate of completion and graduation reception)
Contact ACC Cooperative Extension at (706) 613-3640