Excess Funds

From ACC Tax Sales

Basic Information about Excess Tax Sale Funds…
Some agencies charge a percentage of the excess tax sale funds in exchange for helping applicants find and obtain money.

In most cases, the eligible applicant can apply for the excess tax sale funds on his/her own to avoid commission fees associated with these outside agencies.

You may be eligible for excess tax sale funds if one of the following applies to you:
  1. You were the owner of record at the time of the tax sale.
  2. You were the owner of record of a security deed affecting the property at the time of the sale.
  3. You had a recorded equity interest or claim at the time of the tax sale.
How to obtain excess tax sale funds:

If you wish to submit a claim for such funds, you are required to make a written request to the Athens-Clarke County Tax Commissioner, using the Excess Funds Request Form. Complete each section and mail the application along with a completed
W-9 form to:
ACC Tax Commissioner
Attn: Toni Meadow
P. O. Box 1768
Athens, GA 30603

All forms must be original and have original signatures, no copies will be accepted. After five years have elapsed from the tax sale date, unclaimed excess funds will be paid to the State of Georgia.
To confirm whether or not excess tax sale funds have been claimed, review the Excess Tax Sale Funds List.

To confirm whether or not excess tax sale funds have been paid to the State of Georgia, review the Excess Funds to GA DOR list.
If you have any questions, call 706-613-3120 and ask to speak with Tax Commissioner Toni Meadow or Delinquent Tax Officer, Kecia Payne.

Unclaimed Property or Funds in Georgia

Basic Information about unclaimed properties in Georgia…
If you haven't checked unclaimed properties to see if you have anything waiting for you to claim, then I encourage you to do so.

Types of property that are remitted to the state are as follows:
  • property issued or owed in the ordinary course of the holder's business
  • sums owing on traveler's checks and money orders, unclaimed court ordered refunds from business associations, gift certificates or credit memos
  • unpaid wages
  • employee benefit trust distributions and income
  • safe deposit boxes
  • bequeathed property
  • intangible personal property (stocks, bonds, etc.) held or owing in this State
Search for unclaimed property in Georgia

For additional questions about unclaimed property in Georgia, please call: (404)968-0490

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No