The Lift is curb-to-curb transportation anywhere within one mile of an Athens Transit fixed bus route. The Lift is Athens Transit's demand response transportation for people with a mobility impairment that prevents them from using the regular bus service. Distance from the nearest bus stop does not, by itself, make you eligible for this service. Some examples of mobility impairments that may make you eligible are:
- Confinement to a wheelchair
- Inability to walk to the nearest bus stop or to board the bus
- Use of walker, crutches, or similar assistive devices
You may request an application by calling 706-613-3435 or by coming into the Athens Transit office, or you may print a copy from this website. You must submit parts A and B of the application to Athens Transit System (ATS) to determine your eligibility.
Scheduling Your Trip
Service hours for the Lift are:
- 6:00 a.m. - 9:45 p.m., Monday through Friday
- 7:00 a.m. - 9:45 p.m., Saturday
No service will be provided on the following holidays: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
You may reserve a space on The Lift by calling 706-613-3435 up to 14 days in advance. Reservations may be made between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday. You must schedule all trips at least one day in advance and you must call before 5:00 p.m. You may also request a trip after hours and on Sunday by using the recording device. Your trip will be confirmed on Sunday evening. When scheduling your trip, please have the following information ready:
- Origination address
- Destination address
- Time you are due at your destination
- Approximate time of your return trip
- Type of assistive device, such as wheelchair or cane, if any
- Number of guests or escorts to accompany you
Fares The fare is $3.50 one-way for passengers. Required escorts may ride free. Guests must pay $3.50 per trip. A 10-trip pass is available for $35.00 and sold at 325 Pound Street.
...additional Lift information here...