Georgia Titled Vehicles
To apply for a title for a vehicle currently titled in Georgia the following documents and fees should be submitted to the applicable county tag office or Motor Vehicle Division headquarters:
- Title application in the purchasing party's name(s)
- Original valid Georgia Certificate of Title properly assigned to the applicant(s) showing a complete and correct chain of ownership
- A valid Georgia driver's license or Georgia identification card with a Clarke County address
- A check or money order for the total fees due payable to the tax commissioner or the Motor Vehicle Division; if the vehicle was sold by a licensed dealer to the applicant, the dealer must enter their signature and Motor Vehicle Division permanent dealer ID number on the title and title application.
Selling or Transferring OwnershipWhen the owner is selling / transferring the ownership of the vehicle, he or she should complete the first assignment on their title to the purchaser / transferee. This requires:
- The entry of the purchaser’s / transferee’s name and address
- Date of sale / transfer
- Odometer reading when required (check appropriate block only when the odometer reading does not reflect the actual mileage)
- The seller / transferor must then print their name and sign their name to the assignment
The printed name and signature of the seller / transferor should agree with their name as their names appear on the face of the title. For vehicles where an odometer reading is required, the purchaser / transferee should acknowledge the odometer declaration made by the seller / transferor by printing and signing their name to the assignment in the spaces provided.
Every owner, other than a licensed dealer, is required to obtain a title in his or her name before transferring ownership. A licensed dealer is the only one who is allowed to transfer ownership utilizing the assignments / dealer reassignment forms without first having to obtain a title in their name.
All liens noted on the face of the title or the assignments against the previous owner(s) must be released. All liens noted on the face of the title or the assignments against the current owner(s) must either be released or shown on the title application.